The dental cleanings you receive from our office differ from your at-home routine of flossing and brushing. During your cleaning, you will receive:
- Plaque removal to prevent periodontal disease and inflammation of the gums
- Calculus or tartar (formed from plaque) removal to prevent gingivitis
- Teeth polishing to remove excess plaque and stains
It is important to have your teeth cleaned regularly. Only a professional dental team using specialized instruments and ultrasonic tools can effectively remove plaque and calculus.
Dental exams are performed in conjunction with your regularly scheduled appointments. All regular check-ups will include:
- Examination of diagnostic X-rays (radiographs): We will examine your dental X-rays to determine the positions of your teeth and roots, and to help us detect possible decay, bone loss, cysts, or tumors.
- Gum disease evaluation: By searching the bone and gums around your teeth, we will determine if there are any signs of periodontal (gum) disease.
- Oral cancer screening: During your exam, we will also look closely at the neck, face, tongue, lips, tissues, throat, and gums for signs of oral cancer.
- Tooth decay examination: Part of your exam will involve thoroughly investigating the surfaces of all your teeth with specialized instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: We will examine your current crowns, fillings, bridges, etc., to determine if they are still in good shape.
Schedule a dental appointment with Smiles by Bigelow soon to receive a thorough exam and maintain your dental health!